From June to September 2013, GIC Bellomar carried out a survey on pollution from hotel complexes in Douala. The study showed that, on average, a four star hotel will throw away 30 litres of used oil every week – meaning that each hotel throws 1560 litres of used cooking oil per year into the city’s waterways.
In response to this problem, GIC Bellomar, with the support of FCTV, organised a technical training workshop on how to produce a marketable product – soap – from this waste product.
The key modules covered during the workshop include:
- How to collect the raw material
- Techniques of transformation
- Quality control on products
- Developing a marketing strategy
- Ensuring good customer service